Sunday, January 18, 2015

Singing with Dad

My earliest memories in the cab of my Dad’s truck singing old hymns. I loved climbing up in the cab and sitting beside him while he sang.

“There’s within my heart a melody. . .” his baritone voice bellowed.

He was not a trained singer but to my young ears his was the most beautiful voice in the world. Those old hymns remain among my favorites; In the Garden, Just a Closer Walk with Thee, I Love to Tell the Story, and The Old Rugged Cross. I first learned about Jesus and his love for me listening to Dad sing. The singing together stopped as I grew older. Looking back I know that chronic back pain took away many things. And over the past few years, Parkinson’s robbed him of much more. Conversations became difficult and tired Dad out. So when I was planning my visit with Dad last summer it became important to me that I would sing for Dad.

I purchased a ukulele and had it shipped to my folks so it was waiting for me when I arrived. It was a pleasure to spend a little bit of each day singing for Dad. Emily joined in and we sang songs at his request. One of the songs he requested was Just As I Am. What a joy to share with him the songs that meant so much to him.

Ten days ago, it became evident that Dad’s body had reached its limit. The end was coming and I knew what I wanted to do. I couldn’t travel out to be with him at his bedside but I could sing one last time for him. And so I did, I would have liked to sing more for him but I created a couple of videos for him. My family played it for him on their phones. Dad sang music into me and I wanted music to be part of my good bye to him.



Dad passed on Friday, January 16, 2015. He was surrounded by family and peacefully left the pain of this life behind. Sing on, Dad. I love you.

3 comments:

  1. So very well said, Fara. I'll see you soon when we share in his Memorial Service. Take good care.

    ReplyDelete